State of the Raid March 15
- The current loot mechanics appear to be working fairly well. Based on how many people express interest in each item drop, it is quite likely that our old random roll system was often giving out minor upgrades when some could have had major upgrades.
- If you have any comments about the tuning of the system (the weights) please bring it up
- I have documented the list of regular raiders here: www.thesillyhats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4
- You can find the loot system rules and tuning here: http://www.thesillyhats.com/?p=26
- With holyaggro potentially out of action and Arsenal not being a regular raider, I would like to recruit an additional healer so that we dont get in a rough spot being short one. A Holy Paladin or Holy Priest would be ideal.
- We could really use a Deathknight (unholy) and a balance druid.
This Weeks Raid
- This week was a nice improvement over the last 2 weeks, both in terms of attittude and results.
- People following instructions seemed better as well as the raw numbers.
- Given the 5 item level increase incoming to all BRF gear I am hopeful we can repeat this next week.
What Went Well
- The vast majority of people were using their cooldowns correctly during flamebinder and our technique to tank the wolves and cleave seemed to help in general. we were spiking nearly a 80% increase in DPS during those key moments, which is huge. you can see it reflected by the DPS spikes here: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6afh3KmAZxWyM7rJ#fight=9&type=damage-done
- The spike on Hans/Franz to skip as much presses time as possible seems to be valuable. given how deadly the presses were to us (you can see more below) anything we can do to get through this period is a good thing https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/cqfkJWdjVQxKbBL2#fight=1&type=damage-done&start=1498910&end=1538279
- Healers did a great job on kromog overall, ive never actually seen that boss reach enrage so for us to be able to manage the entire 9 minutes is great. On top of that tank deaths were minimal, we were mainly getting deaths from people not dodging reverbs. We are right on the cusp of a kill and its going to come down to individual execution and some slight optimization now (more on that below
- Rippling smash we avoided fairly well overall, thankyou Xmunk for the strategy to spread out
What We Can Improve
- Please refrain from accusations towards other raid members during raids or posting various charts to the entire raid. If you have things to show please address me first and I will decide how to present it to everyone from there.
- Some players did poorly avoiding the line between the 2 wolves on flamebinder. this creates a nasty fire dot. While it is fine to pass through this quickly, you need to avoid long periods of time in this, you are better off standing in lava slash than this thing. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6afh3KmAZxWyM7rJ#fight=9&type=damage-taken&ability=155049
- We had a few deaths on flamebinder from only part of the group being hit by molten torrent. if you are affected by this try to ensure you cover the entire melee group with the radius circle. Even if it means running through lava slashes or the fire links it is the lesser of 2 evils in this case, as the burst damage of this ability is very high. You can see on this replay at around 1:30 and 5:50 we have a few deaths from only a handful being hit with torrent: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6afh3KmAZxWyM7rJ#fight=9&type=damage-taken&ability=155049
- Stamping presses, don’t stand in them. In general you should always be on the edges of any given square, this gives the least amount of movement required to escape any given press clearly a lot of work to be done to improve this: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/cqfkJWdjVQxKbBL2#fight=1&type=damage-taken&target=82 , https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/cqfkJWdjVQxKbBL2#fight=1&type=deaths
- Reverbs, don’t stand in them. These do a lot of burst damage (150K) and are really the main thing that will actually kill someone on this encounter. as melee will not normally be in a place to be hit by these, it makes it all the more important that healers assigned to heal ranged people focus on getting those people to 100% before trying to heal melee to reduce the risk of death by reverbs. It is far more important to avoid these than to do more damage or healing https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6afh3KmAZxWyM7rJ#type=damage-taken&boss=1713&wipes=1&ability=157247
- Lastin, the only person to not be hit by stamping presses (hans)
- Magdalenna, elements, xmunk for not being pinned down by spears. (beastlord)
- Zimonk, stashiv, ohhjeezus, emuburger, lastin, aktanque, xmunk for avoiding rolling (oregorger)
- Ohhjeezus, zard, malus for damage on cinder wolves (flamebinder)
- Xmunk for the low reverb hits. (kromog)
Loot System Rules and Process
– We will now be using a loot council system to distribute loot within our raids.
– The rules for this loot council are designed to get the largest overall raid benefit for each piece of loot
– We want to minimize the impact of arbitration, therefore this post will outline the general rules used for selecting who gets items
– All raiders are required to contribute to this process by posting the correct information when they desire an item.
How to Request an Item (All Players Read)
– When an item drops and is linked in raid, post the following information in raid chat if you are interested in the item. mainspec only.
“current item level in that slot, socket if applicable, stat type upgrade/downgrade, set bonus status”
Current item level in that slot: for your CURRENT item have, what is its item level
Socket if applicable: If your CURRENT item has a socket, state that it does. if there is no socket do not state anything
Stat Type Upgrade/Downgrade: If the NEW item (as in what you are requesting) has better or worse secondary stat types than your current item then mention that, otherwise assumed neutral. if neutral say nothing
Set Bonus: If getting the NEW item will progress you towards a WORTHWHILE set bonus. If the new item will activate a WORTHWHILE set bonus.
Player A is a paladin with 655 plate boots with haste and mastery on them
A pair of 680 boots with haste and mastery drops
Player A wants this item and should message the following:
Player A is a paladin with 655 plate boots with crit and versatility on them and a socket
A pair of 680 boots with haste and mastery drops, haste and mastery is better
Player A wants this item and should message the following:
“655, socket, upgrade”
Loot Distribution Priority
– Loot will be distributed based on the following priority order:
Attendance > Item Value > Arbitration
– This means that being a regular raider trumps everything (more detail on that below), for ties (which will be common) item value will determine who gets the item. in the rare case that item value is equal we will settle with arbitration (probably a roll)
– Attendance will be a simply binary rather than a granular scale. Players have 1 of 2 states, either they are a “regular raider” or they are not.
– Attendance is intended to simply represent players who will regularily be at our raids, we understand there will be occasional missed days and do not wish to complicate the system by tracking in detail.
– To achieve a regular raider status, players must maintain perfect attendence on tuesday and wednesday for 3 weeks.
– players who exhibt imperfect attendence for 3 weeks in a row will lose regular raider status
* If you have a major vacation or other special circumstances coming up see the raid leader.
Current “Regular Raiders”
– Item value refers to how valuable the item will be for each individual person.
– What this means is that the item will be rewarded to the player who has the weakest effective item level in the slot (for whom the item will be the largest upgrade)
– Effective item level is the weighted item level of the players old item vs new item, basically taking into account the item level, sockets, stat type changes and set bonuses to determine who actually gets the biggest benefit.
- For getting an item, a lower effective item level is better, as that means the upgrade would be larger.
– To determine the effective item level we do the following:
EIL = Item level + socket modifier + stat type modifier + set bonus modifier
Item Level: the item level on the item currently in that slot
Socket Modifier: if your current item has a socket this will add +6
Stat type modifier: If the new item is an upgrade in stat types this will -3 , if the item is a downgrade this wil +3
Set bonus modifier: if the new item would activate a set bonus this will -24, if the new item will deactivate a set bonus this will +24. If the item would progress towards activating a set bonus, but not actually activate one (eg 1/4 or 3/4 pieces) then +/- 12
– zard for calling out the mines on imperator
– stashiv turret damage (maidens)
-emuburger, lastwin, killstheweak damage on belllows operators (blast furnace)
– healers, seriously we put you guys through so much shit sometimes. dps please give them a hug when you see them. Tanks, a respectful nod will do.
– Consistency seems to be an issue when doing old content, we had quite a bit of trouble in highmaul heroic for the last couple weeks. Im going to make sure to explain encounters in more detail even if they are “farm” content.
– We’re approaching the point where gear progress is going to become very minor, our ability to complete content is going to primarily depend on leadership, execution and general skill. Therefore, if you feel you can get some pointers please ask the management and they will point you in the right direction.
– still need to work on the external coordination, might as well use the resources we have.
– we were not consistent with crystalized blood hitting the tank on maidens, this requires proper coordination from both the dps (melee specifically) and the tank (the monk in this case)
– things seemed to be looking pretty good here on gruul, we’ll see how it plays out for the other bosses.
– I will continue to organize highmaul runs for the people who can benefit from the highmaul gear, even more important now as gear will slow down in heroic blackrock.
– things were a bit dicey on gruul, but ill reserve my glorious judgment until we see the other bosses.
– Holyaggro, yinightefl,bearyserious no cave in damage (gruul)
-unholy, aktanque, oppalina, julae, mag, rundrix, metalhead, stashiv, antitheist, vworp for not being hit by rolling (oregorger)
– gashiou, mag, julae for high damage on crates (oregorger)
– ohhjeezus for the pack beast damage (beastlord)
– gaishou and zard for the highest damage to spears (beastlord)
– zimonk,julae,ketsaik for minimal dmg from stamping presses (hans/franz)
– sanctusmalus and gaishou for the highest cinder wolf damage (flamebinder)
– sanctusmalus and arsenal for highest grasping earth damage (kromog)
– arsenal,mag,gaishou for avoided reverbarations (kromog)
– mag for highest damage on gunnery sergeant (thogar)
– zimonk, mag, julae, stashiv, ohhjeezus, emuburger, lastin, oppa for not being hit by trains (thogar) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw
– I was very impressed with the attittude people had on wednesdays raid, people were offering their opinions on how to improve and largely following instructions for the good of the group rather than personal glory. lets try to keep this up,
– Some mistakes were made on the raid lead side of things on oregorger and flamebinder this week, which cost us some time. I will attempt to improve the planning for these bosses for next week
– I will look into ways that make it easier for me to communicate during the raid and still play my character, at this point it is difficult for me to actively be talking while still managing all my own buttons
– our raw dps and tanking abiltiy seemed to struggle this week, likley a result of people learning encounters and thus not playing as well. I will keep an eye on it in the coming weeks.
– Oregorger rotation of external cds was quite good, lets make sure we keep utilizing this on other bosses as well to mitigate risk
– some mistakes were made on the tank rotation for kromag, we will need to clean this up in the future
– for gruul, we should start rotating on 2 inferno strikes instead of 3
– overall some improvments to be made for next week
– im going to be more precise with healing assignments on the encounters I feel it has more value, to try to reduce overheal and risk.
– we didn’t make organzied use of healing CDs on all fights (though we did well on some) I will try to clean this up and organize it better
– biggest issue here seems to be minimzing excess damage taken, which is something everyone needs to do to make healing more managable.
– overall seemed to be the best performing area this week
– I was happy to see (most) people using their offensive cooldowns at the times specified on encounters. It is extremely important that highest dps moments are utilized at the right times to give us the best chance of success and reduce the threat on the healers and tanks.
– damage was a struggle on oregorger and may have contributed elsewhere as well. It is important for those that are struggling to do what they can individually to acquire more items (pug raids, conquest points, buy things) and ensure they have a solid undertanding of how to play.
– Realistically, if you are not yet 665 (670 really) you should be looking at additonal ways to increase your item level for heroic mode. there are numerous people available on either server who can help you with this both with time and gold.
– overall this area will need some work before we get into the later half of heroic.